SMOO Challenge is a milestone campaign to commemorate Singapore Management University’s 20th Anniversary. Taking place from 1st to 20th September virtually in 20 days, the challenge aimed to hit 20,000 KM – akin to halfway around the world, collectively to bring the community together during these uncertain times. While large-scale sporting activities are unavailable at the moment, innovative businesses such as 42Race (pioneered by SMU alumni, Augustine Chua) allow for virtual events like SMOO Challenge to be carried out with distance tracking and leaderboards through an app.
This event aims to not only promote fitness and community spirit, it is also a fundraising activity. Nett proceeds of the ticket sales will go towards the SMU Bursary Fund, which provides much-needed financial assistance to students badly impacted by the current economic downturn.
SMU President, Professor Lily Kong kicked off SMOO Challenge officially on 1 September by announcing her personal commitment to accomplish 100 KM over 20 days. With almost 1,200 participants from more than 16 countries, the community has impressively crossed over 20,000 KM in 8 days. SMOO Challenge is now aiming to complete the full way around the world.
How to join the SMOO Challenge
- Register here.
- Download the 42Race app and login.
- Sync your tracking apps such as Apple Health/ Strava/ Garmin to the 42Race app.
- Start clocking your distances by walking or running, even on your treadmill and elliptical machine.
- Submit your activity - Here’s how to do it.
- Hashtag #SMOOChallenge2020 on FB/IG for your chance to win prizes for the Photogenic Award
Win sponsored prizes, such as Apple AirPods, Sekoni watches, F&B vouchers amongst others, for completing the most distances as an individual or as a team, as well as having the most creative/awesome picture on social media! Additionally, there are free ‘live’ Zoom workout sessions with SMU alumni fitness instructors that participants can sign up for:
10 September 2020, Thursday
- Box-HIIT with Jerusha Chen from CruBox, sign up here
- Strength-training techniques with Gillian Goh, sign up here
19 September 2020, Saturday
- Barre with Meaghan See from WeBarre, sign up here
- Active recovery Yoga with Vera Soh from Yoga Movement, sign up here