Australian Fitness Trainer Tanya Poppett was in Singapore early this month to lead the ASICS Training Escapade. The all-women training camp marks the first of ASICS’ new community engagement programs in Singapore.
The workshop was built around the season’s campaign message of ‘What Matters is You’, and aims to empower and inspire women with the will to take that step towards overall wellness. We shared what happened at the training camp here, but also got Tanya to share with us her top health tips:
- Move your body every day. Find something that empowers you and stick to it. There will be some kind of sport or activity out there that you enjoy. Use it as an excuse to get yourself motivated, interested and moving.
- Consistency. Find a routine in your workout, and stay focused. It doesn’t have to be intensive or overly technical. The takeaway here is to do it regularly and with enough effort.
- Utilise technology to help you. Workout and nutrition apps can help if you like to have some level of gameplay to your training, and there are so many types of wearables available now that you can accessorise any way you want. Just don’t get carried away by tech and remember what your real goal is.
- Set goals. Have reasonable, attainable short-term goals leading up to something bigger. Instead of being body-specific, I like to focus on the health component of my lifestyle and the functional aspects of moving. Don’t fixate on wanting to look a certain way. Make it more positive by aiming to eat healthy, or completing certain events. Looking good is a side effect of being healthy!
- Build a support network. Have friends who empower you rather than talk you down. They can really make a difference in staying motivated.